Thursday, December 2, 2010

Life, Family, and Career

In 1892, I became engaged to Elinor Miriam White. It was time to attend college and I did not have that much money to attend Harvard, so my grandparents gave me some money so that I would be able to attend Dartmouth College. By the end of December that year, I got bored of Dartmouth and decided to leave. After leaving Dartmouth, I decided to go home and teach and do other various jobs. In 1894, I sold my first poem entitled "My Butterfly" which is an elegy, to the New York magazine, The Independent for 15$. It finally came time to marry Elinor Miriam White and on December 19, 1895 it was official. We got married in Lawrence, Massachusetts by a Sweden-borgian pastor. It was a little while before we had our first child but on September 25, 1896 our son Elliott was born. In 1897, I passed the entrance exam for Harvard, and went to my grandfather for some money and was admitted as a freshman that year. I withdrew from Harvard on March 31, 1899. That was the year that my second child was born. This time my wife and I had a girl and named her Lesly. Her birthday was April 28, 1899. Later on in the year I insisted my mother to visit a doctor and that is when we found out that she had an advanced stage of cancer. In 1900, my firstborn died from cholera on July 8th. That was not the only hard thing that we experienced that year.  My wife became very depressed and my health started to deteriorate along with the passing of my mom on November the 2nd. My mom was buried in Lawrence, Massachusetts. My grandfather died on July 10, 1901 and gave me a 500$ annuity and the use of the Derry farm for 10 years. After the 10 years, the annuity would increase to 800$ and I would own the farm. In 1902, my second son and third child Carol was born on May the 27th. The following year my second daughter and forth child was born. Her name was Irma and she was born on June the 27th. Two years later in 1905, my third daughter Majorie was born on March the 28th. My family moved to Derry, New Hampshire and I became a full time teacher at Pinkerton Academy. Two years later, my forth and final daughter and child was born. Her name was Elinor Bettina and her birthday was June 18, 1907. Unfortunately Elinor Bettina didn't live for more than 3 days and died on June the 21st. While in Derry I wrote a lot of poems that dealt with many different things. In 1912, we sold the Derry farm and moved to a city outside of London called Beaconsfield. Within a short time moving to England, I because acquainted with some people. These people were David Nutt, F.S.Flint, Ezra Pound, Wilfred Gibson, Lascelles Abercrombie,  Edward Thomas, Hilda Doolittle, Form Herman Hueffer, Ernest Rhys, and William Butler Yeats. My poetry career went off from there. My poems were spread all across the area from all the different newspaper and other tabloids. My family and I moved back into the United States in 1915 because of England's involvement in World War I. Once I moved back to the United States my poetry began to gain an excessive amount of attention and awards were being awarde to me for a lot of my poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment